Top 19 Garbutt Restored Landmarks
Old Governor’s Mansion
The Old Governor’s Mansion is considered one of the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture. This stately 1830’s structure served as the home to Georgia’s governors until the Civil War and then as a dormitory for Georgia College students until the late 1800s. It was fully rehabilitated in 2004 and received a First Place Build Georgia Award and the prestigious Marguerite Williams Award.
Ennis Hall Rehabilitation
Ennis Hall, a former residence hall at Georgia College & State University (GCSU), was constructed in 1916. Ennis Hall was fully rehabilitated for use by GCSU’s Art Department. A large portion of the load-bearing masonry corridor wall was removed to create large spaces at one end of the building, leaving intact the remaining corridor, as well as three historic interior stairs.
First National Bank Building Rehabilitation
The First National Bank building, fondly known as “Dublin’s Skyscraper,” was designed by A. Ten Eyck Brown and built in 1913. A bank until the early 1950s, this six story structure now houses the Dublin Campus of Georgia Military College. Garbutt Construction Company completed an extensive restoration of the entire building. The property maintains its unique and historic character, including the original marble lobby.
Hill Hall Rehabilitation
Hill Hall, the oldest and grandest structure at Savannah State University, was built from 1900-1901 by the students and faculty. The three story masonry and wood framed structure of resides on the Savannah State University Campus in Savannah, Georgia. After sitting vacant for several years and falling victim to a terrible fire, the project was released to Garbutt Construction in 2007 for a complete rehabilitation. The beautifully restored Hill Hall now serves as an administrative building.
King Hall Rehabilitation
Originally constructed in the 1930’s as a Works Progress Administration building, King Hall now houses classrooms and office space for Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College (ABAC). Garbutt Construction completed a full renovation of King Hall to address numerous issues that hindered the building from serving the college at its fullest potential.
The Fox Theatre Marquee Club
This adaptation of one of Georgia’s most famous landmarks offers a whole new vantage point for viewing the city, yet its tactful design seamlessly blends the addition and the original 1928 structure through the use of Italian calacatta stone, Brazilian countertops, Chinese carpet, and light fixtures from Dubai. The 10,000 sf Marquee Club and Rooftop Lounge features hand-painted tiles and wallpaper and hand blown glass bulbs. The ceiling of the mezzanine is hand-painted to look like the night sky, echoing the design of the grand theater.
Howard Warner Rehabilitation
Originally constructed in 1935, the Howard Warner Building served as a Coweta County’s African American High School in Newnan, Georgia. was named after Professor Howard Wallace Warner who served as principal for over 30 years. Garbutt Construction fully renovated the entire building making special effort to restore as many original elements as possible. Since the rehabilitation, the building continues to give back to the community by housing the local Boys and Girls Club.
Historic Porterdale Gymnasium Revitalization
Designed by female architect Ellamae Ellis League, the Porterdale Gymnasium was built in 1938 and became the heart of the community. In 2005, a devastating fire damaged much of the infrastructure of the historic gym. In January 2014, Garbutt braced and stabilized the walls and foundation along with other modifications to transform the remains of the gymnasium into an open-air event venue and community center.
Hardman Farm Restoration
Hardman Farm is an extraordinarily pristine historic resource. The beautiful 173-acre farm, which became Georgia Governor Lamartine Hardman’s home in 1902, retains buildings that date back to as early as 1870. In addition to achieving LEED Gold certification, the team aimed to explore the reuse of the inherently sustainable features of the historic structure and focus on appropriate applications of sustainable practices in a historic context.
Parks Memorial and Health Sciences Rehabilitation
This project consisted of the historic rehabilitation of what was originally a dormitory into a 71,700 sf state-of-the-art health science training center. The Health Science building was constructed in 1939 as a health, physical education and recreation building. This property sits in the heart of Georgia College & State University’s campus and also is registered on the National Registrar of Historic places.
Hill House at Adalusia Farm Rehabilitation
Andalusia is the family farm of author Flannery O’Connor, who lived and wrote at the property during the last 13 years of her life. The Hill House was a tenant farmhouse at Andalusia that dates from the mid-19th century and is most significant for the mid-20th century when Jack and Louise Hill lived there. The Foundation feared the Hill House would be lost as it was in critical condition, with two gaping holes in the roof. Racing against the elements, Garbutt and Lord Aeck Sargent worked together to save the Hill House before it collapsed.
Winnie Davis Rehabilitation
Winnie Davis, originally built in 1902, was named after Jefferson Davis’ daughter Winnie. It was one of four buildings restored during Phase One of the Health Science Campus project. Interior renovations occurred on the two floors of this building. Exterior modifications included gentle cleaning and painting to preserve historic integrity. Winnie Davis provides research and administrative spaces for doctors and medical professors on staff for The Medical Partnership.
Rylander Theatre Rehabilitation
The Rylander is a charming, 1920s theatre in the heart of Americus, Georgia. The 10,000 square feet performing arts center was restored to its original glory with the installation of 21st century electrical, mechanical and life safety systems with extensive structural and finish repair.
Renovation of New College
New College, one of the oldest buildings on the University of Georgia campus, underwent extensive renovations that have brought the exterior back to its 1875 appearance while creating modern classroom space inside.
Macon Volunteer Armory Rehabilitation
Built in 1884 for Macon’s first military unit, the Macon Armory is a magnificent example of Victorian architecture. Garbutt Construction as construction manager and Brittain, Thompson, Bray, Brown, Inc., as the design professional, joined forces to ensure the rebirth of this great piece of history. Their efforts were rewarded by an Excellence in Rehabilitation Award and a Build Georgia Award. The building is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing property in the Macon Historic District. It now serves as an event space with a ballroom.
Sallie Ellis Davis House Restoration
In collaboration with Georgia College & State University and Lord Aeck Sargent Architecture, we led efforts to stabilize and restore this incredible landmark into what now serves as an African American Cultural Center to the university. The center was the home to Sallie Ellis Davis, local educator and role model, from 1910 to 1950. The restoration work of the house was completed largely through in kind and volunteer efforts from the project team and the local community.
Rehabilitation of Huntington Hall Phases I and II
Historic Huntington Hall is the second oldest building on the Fort Valley State University Campus. Huntington Hall was rehabilitated in two phases. Phase One focused on structural stabilization of the building, while phase two involved complete rehabilitation. Originally constructed in 1908, it now houses offices, classrooms, conference rooms, restrooms, and support space.
Black Box Theatre Rehabilitation
The Campus Theatre is typical of the Art Deco-style theatres that were once ubiquitous in towns throughout the southeastern United States. It opened in 1935 and served as a traditional performance hall for nearly half a century before closing in 1983. The building fell into disrepair, and stood mostly empty until 2009 when the restoration and adaptive reuse of this historic building began. In collaboration with Dunwody/Beeland Architects, this property was revived for Georgia College’s Performing Arts Department.
Rhodes Hall Renovation
The Renovation of Rhodes Hall was part of a multi-phase, multi-building rehabilitation of the Health Sciences Campus at the University of Georgia.The Navy Supply Corps School originally occupied the area that is now the Health Sciences Campus. Built in 1906, Rhodes Hall was named for Alexander Rhodes, a former business manager of the State Normal School. Rhodes Hall serves as the administrative office to the College of Public Health.